Welcome friend. The purpose of this place is to describe my journey on the path towards learning about, and the conscious application of my energy towards, achieving optimal health. I have avid interest in nutrition and this is my journey to find the nutritional secrets hidden in plain sight that can be easily applied to maximize health, personal energy and well being.
In peter Thiel’s book “Zero to One” he asks the following question:
What important truth do very few people agree with you? This is my answer.
You are malnourished; you do not get all the vitamins and minerals you need regardless of how balanced your diet is, and all diseases in your life will stem from your nutritional deficiencies.
I once read that the indication of an intelligent person, is someone who can read something or hear something and who does not immediately agree, nor immediately dispute it, but instead consciously brings this thought into Their Mind and then asks a question; what proof do I have that this is true, and do I consciously choose to accept this or reject this as truth.
Questions to ask yourself:
Are you aware of all the Vitamins and Minerals required for life?
Are you aware of what foods have the highest concentrations of these Vitamins and Minerals?
Do you eat enough of those foods to get the Daily Recommended Value of essential vitamins and minerals to avoid disease?
Are you aware of what people just like you, are nutritionally deficient in?
Do you know if you’ve got the building blocks of life available for your body?
Do you think it might be helpful to know how to prevent disease and to heal yourself?
What is essential for human life?
Macro Nutrients, protein, fat, and carbohydrate. Water, although it has no nutrients is required for life. Amino acids, and specifically the nine essential Amino Acids are also worth mentioning. (5)
Vitamin A, Vitamin B1-B12, Vitamin C, Vitamin D, Vitamin E, Vitamin K.
Macro minerals are Calcium, phosphorus, magnesium, sodium, potassium. Other important minerals are iron, zinc, and fluorine. We also need trace elements like copper, chromium, manganese, molybdenum, selenium, and iodine.
There is also interesting recent research on phytochemicals, antioxidants, and neuroprotectants.
How many people in Canada are actually getting inadequate amounts of nutrients? Lets see some proof.
So the graph above shows the percentage of males aged 19+ who are not getting the estimated average requirement. That is the AVERAGE requirement to avoid disease, not the OPTIMAL requirement for higher levels of health. Other Interesting points I found from skimming the Government of Canada study, I’ve noted below… (1)
- 42% of Canadians are not getting the required amount of magnesium.
- 32% of Canadians had insufficient vitamin D levels and 10% of Canadians were deficient.
- Canadian adults may not be meeting their needs for potassium and fibre.
- Almost no one is protein deficient in Canada.
- 25% of males aged 19 years and holder had fat intakes above the acceptable range.
- Unless you eat seafood or kelp daily you probably don’t get enough Iodine.
I’m not a doctor or nutritional doctor. I promise no cures for anything. Do your own research. Below is what I’ve borrowed, adapted, and adopted from global experts to apply in my own life.
What do I do as an individual to maintain optimal health?
- Adopt a Nutritarian approach to food. Eat as much food as you want, just focus on eating the most nutrient rich foods. Look up GBOMBS on YouTube for a simple guide.
- Eat as much as you can of mineral and micronutrient rich Green leafy veggies, Beans & Lentils, Onions and Garlic, Mushrooms, Seeds, Berries, and Sprouts. These types of food help the body heal itself.
- Eat Leafy Greens and Beans daily. Greens are phytochemicals and micro nutrients, beans are great source of protein and antioxidants. All people, including vegetarians and vegans don’t eat enough Greens and beans.
- If you’re in Canada. You need to Supplement Vitamin D, especially in winter.
- Make sure you’re getting your Omega 3 Fatty Acids. I currently use Carlsons Cod Liver Oil to boost mine.
- Eat Whole Grains. Oats, Quinoa, hemp seed, Sorghum, Wild Rice, Millet, Rye, Flax, Chia.
- Eat good quality meat. Fresh caught wild salmon, scallops, grass fed beef steaks, free range chickens and eggs.
What I personally avoid:
- Avoid dead foods, or foods with High Fructose Corn Syrup or Refined Sugar.
- Avoid all processed wheat products even if they say whole grain. Bleached white flour is death.
- Avoid Milk. It makes me feel sick so I switched to coconut/almond milk. Too much lobbying and misleading advertising; science shows it doesn’t make stronger bones.
- Reduce the percentage of your calories that are from meat protein and fat. I still eat meat, but I just don’t touch garbage lunch meats, factory farmed meat, hot dogs, or anything with pink slime.
What do meals look like for me?
Wakeup: Big Water with Fresh squeezed Lemon.
- Red River Cereal . Add Banana + Blueberries. Or Apple, Cinnamon + Crumble Nuts/Seeds on top.
- (or) Poached Eggs, Beans, Orange.
- Lentil Soup. Onions, Carrots, Celery, Green Lentils, Spices.
- (or) Leftovers, like Greek Quinoa Salad from Dinner.
- In a rush I do a Bunch of Nuts, Seeds, a Banana or apple, and a PBJ sandwich.
Post Workout Smoothie:
- Banana, Blueberries/frozen berries, ground flax seed, hulled hemp seed. Sun Warrior – Warrior Protein Blend.
Dinner (Here is a few I like)
1. GBOMB Meal. Sauteed Onions, mushrooms, & Black Beans. Large Salad of Greens like Kale & Spinach, Add Cucumber, Red Pepper, Top with Sunflower seeds. Serve with Quinoa/brown rice. Thin Sliced Avacado on the side.
2. Saltspring Island Special. Grilled Scallops or Wild Salmon. Fresh Local Steamed Carrots, Red Pepper, Zucchini, Rapini. Baked yellow potatoes.
3. Quinoa Greek Salad. Includes Tomatoes, Cucumbers, Red & green peppers, Red Onions, Olives, Feta, Quinoa. Dressing of Olive Oil, Lemon Juice, oregano, S+P.
- Water. Seriously, its essential to drink more water. Your hunger pain may be dehydration.
- Broccoli / Red Pepper with Hummus dip.
- Nuts, Seeds, Berries!
Cold Fighting Recipes
Eat raw, or cook with, organic purple Garlic. Not the china garbage. Try to buy local. Garlic has powerful antibacterial properties.
Simmer Ginger, Add Lemon, Cayenne, Raw Honey.
Chicken Soup. Whole Chicken Simmered 2 hours with carrots, onions, celery as stock veggies. Take out chicken and discard stock veggies. Add Sauteed Onions and debone chicken and add it back to soup. Add Celery, Carrots, Grated Ginger, Bok Choy, 1 can mushroom soup. Add tons of garlic. Simmer.
Buy Raw Local Honey to develop anti allergy protection to local pollen.
Juicing is AWESOME – Use as a vitamin and nutrient boost, not as a meal replacement
- Kale, Lemon, Green Apple, Cilantro, Cucumber.
- Apple, Carrot, Beet, Ginger.
- Pineapple, Pomegranate, Papaya.
Despite eating healthy, I’m still not getting the required daily amount of many vitamins & minerals. Looking just at my diet before supplements, I’m still low extremely low in Vitamin D, and low in Omega 3 fatty acids, some b vitamins, and Iodine. I’m probably deficient in additional trace minerals as well. To help mitigate these factors I take Vitamin D. I can’t always get fresh fish twice a week so I use Carlson’s Cod Liver Oil for extra Omega 3s; I’ve still got more work and research to do.
Contrarian Challenge. What do you think about this?
It is now acceptable to give your child a bottle of coca cola which has no nutritional value and includes addictive sugar that leads to obesity, diabetes and the major killers in north america, the “diseases of affluence” like heart disease. Its sold as a taste of happiness, and it is a daily part of most childrens’ life.
However, it is illegal to give your child a glass of fresh juiced Kale, Lemon, Cucumber, and Marijuana leaf juice. A juice which is packed full of vital nutrients, vitamins, minerals, phytochemicals, antioxidants, and protective cannabanoids. Please realize that these are leaves not the bud part that is smoked, and without heat the marijuana plant is not a drug, it’s a vegetable. The US Government has a patent on Marijuana for its antioxidant and neuroprotectant properties of the cannabanoids.(2)
“We hold these truths to be sacred & undeniable; that all men are created equal & independent, that from that equal creation they derive rights inherent & inalienable, among which are the preservation of life” – Taken from US Constitution.
Consciously, or unconsciously, the preconceived beliefs system of society allow and encourage people to slowly poison and kill their children. The dominator culture and outdated laws restrict our basic freedoms, the first and most important of which is the preservation of life.
Question of the decade: Hypothetically, What if the most nutrient and mineral packed vegetable in the world was illegal to buy or grow yourself? Would you feel that limits the freedom of preservation of life?
If this was helpful to you, or if you feel something right now – good or bad, please share or comment below. I’d love to have a serious discussion about these subjects with intelligent beings.
Do Canadian Adults Meet Their Nutrient Requirements Through Food Intake Alone? (Health Canada) http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/fn-an/surveill/nutrition/commun/art-nutr-adult-eng.php#b1
Cannabinoids as antioxidants and neuroprotectants. US Government Patent. http://www.google.ca/patents/US6630507
Video on Gbombs. Great Intro to healthy eating by Dr. McDougall https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIYS5XG4zwA
Diseases of Affluence http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diseases_of_affluence
Essential Amino Acids http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Essential_amino_acid